Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sweet and Sour Indian Vegetable Stew




This recipe comes from the February issue of Chatelaine.
I love to try new recipes and this one caught my eye due to
the fact it has curry and balsamic vinegar, one of the two
things I always have in my cupboard.
It is a wonderful easy recipe with big flavour. The recipe says
you can add meat or fish, if you wish. I did not. I used the
chickpeas instead of the lentils, which was filling enough.

Ingredients
1 small head of cauliflower
400 g pkg pre-cut butternut squash, about 3 cups (I used fresh)
1 small eggplant (I used a medium size)
1 onion (I used 2)
2 tbsp (30ml) Indian curry paste
680 ml can of tomato sauce
2 tbsp (30ml) balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp (30ml) brown sugar
19-oz (540ml) can lentils or chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
1 handful cilantro, chopped (optional)

Chop cauliflower into small florets,
chop squash into bite-sized
pieces, and slice eggplant into bite
sized pieces. Coarsely chop onions.
Lightly oil a large pot and set over medium heat.
When hot, add onion and sauté until tender, 3 to 4 min.
Stir curry paste into pot and cook until fragrant, 1 min.
Add tomato sauce, ½ cup water, vinegar, sugar and veggies.
Cover and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low.
Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally until vegetables
are tender, 25 to 30 min.
Add lentils for the last 5 min. of cooking.
Sprinkle with cilantro. Delicious over rice and with a dollop of plain yogurt.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry about the screwed up format on this page.
    I'm new to this..and am working on it. OH.. this is so much fun! Thanks to everyone who has helped me on getting this Blog started.
    Little Miss Cook, Carole

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dish sound fabulous. Thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving informative and kind comments. Good luck with your new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Lisa!
    I will be trying a couple of your recipes this weekend. My husband and I are changing our eating habits by only eating meat once in awhile..like social meat eaters...lol. we have been eating a lot of lentil dishes lately...and we absolutely love it. :)

    ReplyDelete